Monday 13 April 2009

It may not be pretty.....


but it's functional (or at least I hope it is).

It's taken 5 days (spread over weekends) and about £200 of plywood and fixings, but I now have the van kitted out for camping.

Don't look too closely or you'll spot that:
1) I'm not a carpenter/joiner/cabinet maker
2) I can't paint either.

I'm on leave in a couple of weeks, so I'll give it a trial run somewhere local to make sure there's no major problems, then it's off to Scotland for it's first real test at Beltaine. Once I'm happy that things work ok, (and don't need moving) I'll get the roof lined and give it a proper coat of paint.

Other than that, I need to sort out lights and music. I want to keep the electrics in the back separate from the vehicle electrics, so there's no worries about flat batteries. I've seen solar powered lights that charge up during the day and give about 4 hours light at night, so that's the lighting sorted. For music I've treated myself to an MP3 player and am trying to find some battery powered speakers to go with it. I have also invested in a Freeloader, which is a small solar charger that will recharge the MP3 (as well as my phone and satnav), so hopefully once I arrive on site I'll be self-sufficient for power needs.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a good result of lots of hard work. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well enjoy your trip to Scotland - where about are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm heading off Bala for the shakedown, and then to Fife for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The van looks great Nigel, i'd quite happily travel the world in the back of a van if i had my way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't stop laughing!

    Then I wondered to myself:-

    Is the brush to brush out picnic crumbs or to keep those doors from flying open on the high roads or will you be taking the low roads.

    Bonny Scotland ....watch out!!!!

    It is fab.....but I am still giggling!!


    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.